Chili has never been my “thing”.
I’m not a huge red meat fan, I don’t eat a lot of Mexican (think chili seasoning) and I don’t love tomatoes. So as you can see, chili doesn’t seem like it’d be anywhere on my favorite foods list.
BUT! With my new meal prepping plan, I found an easy freezer meal for chili and decided to try it out this weekend. I know that crockpots are made for convenience, but my man and I don’t like to leave the crockpot on at home while we’re gone… I think it’s a mixture of silly fear that our house is going to burn down that is validated by the fact that our cats mess with everything, and I feel like my crockpot is always at a higher heat than its setting. When its on warm, it basically burns everything! So I feel better with a watchful eye, which when you work over 30 minutes away isn’t always settling.
This morning I put the chili mixture (that I froze in a gallon-sized freezer bag last weekend during meal prep) in the crock pot and it simmered on low all day, making my house smell quite delightful, actually…
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- chili seasoning
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 can red kidney beans (I substituted black beans)
- 1 can water (I used the bean can)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown beef in a skillet with chili seasoning. Drain.
- Combine all ingredients in gallon-sized freezer bag and freeze until ready to use (thaw in refrigerator the night before use).
- Cook on low for 8 hours in crockpot. Top with cheese. Serve!
I’m serious, it’s THAT simple! And so stinking good. I surprised myself. Like I said, I’m not a chili girl and never have been. But I think I travelled to the dark side!
Does anyone have any variations to this recipe, or maybe a yummy recipe that is similar but with chicken instead?