Well, I took a couple weeks off to feel sorry for myself. They were nice, but now I’m back!
I wasn’t planning on taking any time off of blogging, exercising, or meal planning, but such is life. Things come up, life gets in the way, and you adapt. At first I took a break for about a week to let my body rest and heal and to keep my emotions in check, and then I took a week off out of pure laziness. I don’t have a problem admitting it, because all week long I thought to myself, “Seriously? We were doing well.” I allowed myself that week, a week that I really needed, but the extra week (plus) wasn’t necessary. So I’m kicking my own ass back in gear a little at a time!
This weekend I decided that I’m going to meal plan slowly, just a couple days at a time, to ease myself back into my schedule. I also abruptly stopped my BBG program, unfortunately, so I don’t want to jump right back into the program as I was on Week 6 and took more than two weeks off… so I’m going to ease myself back into that, as well and eventually probably start over from the beginning.
Last weekend I made Cheesy Taco Turkey Pasta, which was so good I’ll probably make it again and again. I actually will probably make several variations of this meal as you can tweak just a couple ingredients and make a completely different dish. We have been on an Asian and Mexican inspired food kick lately, so I really wanted some sort of taco flavoring with our meal that day. Not only was this delicious and easy to put down (and make!!) but it was relatively healthy. I’ve been experimenting with ground turkey because we’ve been trying not to eat any red meat and just sticking with lean poultry. I know how to make chicken about 1,000 ways, but ground turkey has been a little different and I’m excited that the new recipes I’ve been trying have been something we’ve enjoyed!
Cheesy Taco Turkey Pasta
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 jar salsa (we used Mango Peach salsa)
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Brown the ground turkey in a skillet over medium-high heat, seasoned with black pepper and cayenne pepper, to taste (I recommend going light on the cayenne pepper). Add the onion and green pepper and sauté as the turkey browns.
- Drain the grease and add the packet of taco seasoning, mixing well.
- Stir in the water, pasta, and salsa; bring to a boil.
- Stir, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes (or until pasta is cooked).
- Turn off the heat and cover mixture with cheddar cheese; stir until combined.